Saturday, February 23, 2008

Interview with Author Katherine Warwick

Please join me in welcoming author Katherine Warnick to my blog. Katherine writes a wonderful dancing series that shouldn't be missed!

Katherine, please tell us a bit about yourself.

I’m the mother of 6 children, one of whom has autism. I’ve been married for 24 years to a man I strive to emulate. We have a lovely home on a mountainside, and each day I get to write and look up at glorious evergreen peaks that remind me where all my blessings come from.


How did you get started in your writing career?

I’ve written since I was a teenager. I’ve written full time for 5 ½ years now.


When was your first book published and what was it?

The book was NOON and it was published in 2006.


How many do you have out now and who are they published with?

I have four Women’s Romances out: Noon, Wilde, Savage and Dancing With His Heart – all part of the dance/romance series. I also have three YA books out: Falling for Romeo, Magic Hands and An Open Vein.


Please tell us what kind of books you write. Are they all related or are they stand alone books?

I write in three different genres because writing in just one would get stale. Like an actor, I wouldn’t want to do the same ‘type-cast’ role over and over again.


Please tell us about your dancing series. What inspired it and will there be any more in the series?

My oldest daughter had a friend who danced on the high school ballroom dance team. He was a total cutie. I started wondering about the dynamics of a partnership. Did they love to hate each other? How close were they? What was it like dancing intimately and not being a ‘couple’? WERE they a couple? The questions were endless. So I started going to tons of competitions and watching the couples. I enrolled my children in classes, got to know the parents, saw how they were with their kids – just got a feel for the whole ballroom life. NOON was born. NOON follows the partnership of a couple who meets in their teens and compete together into their 20’s. It’s my personal favorite of the dance series.


What are you writing on now and do you have a release date yet?

I’m always writing. Right now, I’m working on another YA story. A paranormal love story.

Do you use music or anything to inspire your work?

Always use music! Every story has a soundtrack. I find listening to it helps me creatively.


Let’s do some fun questions.

What is your favorite book or author?

Honest Illusions by Nora Roberts

What’s your favorite movie?

Too many to narrow it down but The Devil Wears Prada is a laugh every time I watch it.


If you could meet any person you wanted and write about it, who would it be and why?

Anyone whose life has been horrendously difficult. I love stories with unbearable obstacles, great feats of courage and inspiring choices.


Have you ever received advice that changed your view of writing?


Sure. Early on an agent told me a story was about 200 pages overwritten. That gave me the clue I needed to make some changes, be brutal with my editing.


What advice would you give a new writer?

Always write for the love of writing first. Write for yourself, then everything you encounter in this business will be palatable.


Katherine, thanks so much for chatting with us! Come back again soon!

Thank you for having me!

4 comments:

Liane Gentry Skye said...

Awesome interview. :) Definitely want to check your books out. Thanks, Deb, for posting this.

Michelle (MG) said...

Great interview. Noon was, by far, my absolute favourite book, in the dancing series. They're all good, but Noon was incredible.

Nature Nut /JJ Loch said...

Fantastic interview, Katherine and Deb! The dancing series sounds captivating. :D

Hugs, JJ

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the interview, Deb. :)